'I work just 3.5 days a week'

In 2017, after I graduated from college, I started working as an engineer at an oil company. I was 23 and making $98,500 a year.

At first, I thought I had my dream job. But after seeing senior leaders work 60-hour weeks with routine travel, I realized that it wasn't the lifestyle I wanted. My father passed away when I was three years old, so having family time was always very valuable to me.

Josh works less than four days a week and spends much of his free time with his family.

Photo: Danny Mizicko for CNBC Make It

In 2018, I started experimenting with side hustles. I set a goal to make $3,450 a month (after taxes) from my hustles in order to support my lifestyle. As soon as I'd achieved that, I decided, I would quit my full-time job.

Today, I've accomplished my goal of being my own boss, and more. I left my engineering job in February 2021 to work on my side hustles full-time.

Last year, I made a little over $189,000 from my seven income streams:

  1. YouTube (Google AdSense): $82,349
  2. Fulfilled by Amazon: $13,886
  3. Patreon (coaching): $33,114
  4. Fiverr (product research): $29,014
  5. Affiliate marketing: $29,496
  6. Rental property: $1,272
  7. Taxable dividends: $639

Now I work just 22 hours a week. I take off Thursdays, Friday afternoons, and weekends. Whether it's golfing with my grandfather, cooking family dinners or starting new business projects in my community, I have plenty of time to invest in the people and things that I care about most.

Here's my best advice for turning your side hustle into your full-time gig, all while working fewer hours:

1. Don't be afraid of trial and error.

2. Build a community around your expertise.

I launched my YouTube channel, Debt To Dollars, in February 2020. I committed to posting at least two videos per week at first. Over the next eight months, I gained 14,000 subscribers and 871,000 channel views.

Josh's most lucrative income stream in 2021 was his YouTube account, where he made almost $83,000 from advertisements.

Danny Mizicko for CNBC Make It

While growing my audience, I realized that I wanted to connect more with my subscribers and build a real community. So in October 2020, I began mentoring students one-on-one for $50 a month on how to make money selling products on Amazon.

I currently use Patreona platform that provides business tools for content creators to run a subscription service, to host my coaching sessions.

In February 2021, I started my product research service on Fiverr, in which customers would pay me to find high-demand, low-competition products — trending toys, pet supplies or travel accessories — that they could sell on Amazon.

These community-based businesses helped me reach my long-awaited income goal $3,450 per month.

3. Prioritize tackling debt.

4. Set up the legal side of your business early.

5. Find a schedule that works for you and stick with it.

6. Set up systems that will save you time in the future.

7. Identify what makes you different.

I quit my $35K job to grow my side hustle — now it brings in $141 million a year
.
Postagem Anterior Próxima Postagem